Everything Else Is Garbage
Every good gift the Father gives—every richness from Christ, every blessing from the Spirit—flows from the gospel and is received through faith.
- We receive righteousness through faith (Rom. 3:22).
- We are justified through faith (Rom. 3:30; Gal. 2:16).
- We stand fast through faith (Rom. 11:20).
- We are sons of God through faith (Gal. 3:26).
- We are indwelled by Christ through faith (Eph. 3:17).
- We are raised with Christ through faith (Col. 2:12).
- We inherit the promises through faith (Heb. 6:12).
- We conquer kingdoms, enforce justice, and stop the mouths of lions through faith (Heb. 11:33).
- We are guarded through faith (1 Pet. 1:5).
We live through faith, and we die through faith. Everything else is garbage.
— Matt Chandler from The Explicit Gospel
As I often say, especially to our medical teams serving across the globe, that we don't graduate from the faith of the gospel. The gospel isn't merely something that saves us and then we move on - only to then work hard at living the Christian life, but rather we are called to live by faith and in faith every day and every moment.
As I lead medical mission teams around the world, I tell my team members that whether it be at home in Atlanta, Indianapolis, Portland or across the globe into Africa - God is calling us to embark on an endeavor of faith. God is always asking and inviting us to have to trust Him in new and fresh ways - ways we have never had to trust Him before.
But that is the posture He desires of us. Complete dependence and trust. God is going to use those steps of faith - yes certainly to grow our faith - but even more so. It is our exercise of faith that is going to open up new vistas and opportunities, not only in our own lives but the lives of those we are going to serve.